The summer season is in full swing as weekends are filled with backyard barbecues, trips to the lake, family picnics and many other seasonal occasions. City Green would like to share the recipe for a quick dish that you can serve at your next shindig. Most of the ingredients featured in this recipe can be found at our weekly markets.
As we mentioned in our previous blog post about heirloom crop varieties, City Green grows many different varieties of tomatoes. The best ones for this recipe include Sungold, Pink Bumblebee, and Black Cherry - although, any tomato will work great! We hope you enjoy!
|City Green Heirloom tomatoes captured by Farmer Todd Gustafson|
City Green Salsa
- 2 cups of City Green tomatoes, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 of a jalapeno, diced
- 1 cucumber, diced
- 1 yellow squash, diced
- 3 scallions, diced
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 zucchini, sliced into .5’’ slices
- In a medium bowl, combine the tomatoes, bell pepper, cucumber, scallions, vinegar, oil, and salt and pepper.
- Spoon onto sliced zucchini and serve.
by Zariel Grullon
Zariel is AmeriCorps Program Assistant at City Green.